Saturday, March 24, 2012

Friendly Debates with the Danielles...

...this is what I mentioned in my last post about modest swim wear.

Every week, the Danielles of Happenings of the Harper Household and We Don't Have it All blogs host meme with a hot topic.

Happenings of the Harper Household

This week's topic is:
Bikinis for Toddlers/Tweens/Teens: Yay or Nay? What do YOU say?


I am definitely not torn on this issue, and I don't think it's because I've never worn a bikini or that I'm more "modest-minded" than I used to be. I don't think bikinis are appropriate swim wear. Of course, once you are an adult, do as you please, but I do not agree with people who buy or allow their children to wear skimpy swim wear.

I am not against a 2 piece suit. I wore 2 pieces in high school, they were tankinis and they were full coverage! In fact, more supportive than the suit I have now!

Toddlers in bikinis makes me think of that disgusting Toddlers and Tiaras show on tv. (sorry if you like it, but I can't stand it!) Those poor children are primped, fluffed and painted to look like adults! Not. Cool. I don't understand why you would want your sweet daughter to look like she's 20!

Personally, Meghan has received 3 bikinis already in her short life. (2 were the same suit, different sizes) She did in fact wear one to the beach last summer. But, it wasn't as skimpy as it could've been and she had a cloth swim diaper on the bottom, not the little bikini bottom that the suit came with. We were at a public beach and thinking back I am now a bit concerned about what sort of unsavory types might have been there. There's nothing I can do about that now.

The 3rd suit Meghan got is basically the same shape as the others, but I feel that the pattern is not appropriate for anyone. It has watermelon slices on the bodice. (see where this is going?) Unfortunately, the buyer can be a bit naive sometimes and so I don't think they even thought of it that way, but I immediately thought the worst things. :( I really don't like the suit because of this and if we do use it, it will be at the in-laws or my dad's (he has a little splash area with a slide, etc) where I know who is there and not at a crowded beach with all the world to see!

Meghan is not even 2 yet, but I have high hopes for her future. I hope she decides to lead a Godly, modest life as I have chosen. I hope she makes good decisions and I hope she never begs for a bikini, because it ain't happenin'! :)

So, bikinis for your toddler/tween/teen? What do you say?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for stopping by, leave me a little note!